Blaca hermitage monastery is one of those places where exploring gets its full meaning, so as the magic. To step into the area of huge historical importance, yet so humble in its intention to preserve the beauty and the knowledge for those who seek, presents an adventure, for those willing to give their full appreciation, attention, and respect.
Pustinja Blaca is located on the Island of Brač, modern and wild, the Island of history and the novelty. The same Island is famous for the highest peak of the Dalmatian Islands, the most popular beach Golen Cape, fabulous wine, great food, adventure sports… and the hidden monastery on the south side of the island of Brac, between Bol and Milna.
The Blaca Desert, once a famous Glagolitic desert, and later an observatory, is a protected cultural asset, founded by the Glagolitic of Poljica in the middle of the 16th century. The desert covers fifty-six hectares in the Dragovode area. The name desert is used due to the lack of natural and other resources essential for living. Word Blaca reminds of Croatian word for mud (blato) and possibly was connected with the origin of the name due to the amount of mud made of small rivers after heavy rains.
In the 15th century, the Glagolitic people of Poljica fled to Brač due to the attack of the Turks. There, they received permission from the prince of Brač to settle and began to cultivate the land they received as a gift. In 1552 they founded a religious cooperative, and in 1570 they received permission to build a monastery and a church.
The fire in 1754 and the great croup of 1784 greatly affected the weakening of the economy, and consequently, the number of hermits decreased. Due to the damage, the Bishop of Hvar and Brač accepted the request of the hermits and issued a permit to build a Desert in which they could live, pray, consecrate and receive whomever they wanted into their ranks. The members were both priests and laymen who after a certain time would be elevated to the rank of confreres.
After the death of the priest Miličević who was taking care and managing the Blace, the desert of Croatian Glagolitic was extinguished in 1962.
Blaca hermitage has monumental value found in the construction of various rooms, multi-story buildings, and Renaissance church built 1588.
Having settled in a small cave, they slowly upgraded it and created a residential and church space. In the living space, there is a large library, several paintings and Glagolitic missals, a collection of old rifles, and a small printing house. Since 1926, there is also astronomical station founded by Don Niko Miličević. The monastery houses the second largest telescope in Europe which is not currently in use.
The value of this historical area and natural beauty is great, and it gets an entirely new meaning once you embark on this unique adventure.